Alum Rock Passbook
A Passbook with transactions from 1927 to 1939
Depositors' Department
Account Types
(No 1 Dept)
(No 2 Dept)
(No 3 Dept)
Head Office
Alum Rock branch was opened in temporary premises at 1 Pelham Road on April 30th 1927. At this date the branch was designated an 'Evening Branch' and was open for only four hours each week - 6pm to 8pm on Mondays and Saturdays. Alum Rock was the Bank's forty-first office, of which 14 were Evening Branches. Passbooks for Evening Branches were specially printed with their limited opening hours printed on the inside front cover. When the branch was opened as a permanent office on August 11th 1928, on the same site (but with an address of 2 Belchers Lane), it adopted the Bank's standard full-time hours. However, the 'HOURS OF BUSINESS' sticker in the passbook shows the hours that applied from July 31st 1931.
On Monday, October 31st 1927, the branch's 470th account was opened by a Miss Ivy Hancock with the sum of Ten Shillings (50-pence). Miss Hancock appears to have noted her address below her name on the passbook - her address was near the branch's location on the corner of Pelham Road and Belchers Lane. Shortly after the account was opened, the passbook balance was compared with the branch's ledger by the Bank's auditors (Agar, Bates, Neal & Co) who confirmed the action with a rubber stamp.
From October 31st 1927 to October 12th 1931, Miss Hancox made regular deposits until she had accumulated 9 - 9s. - 6d. Three withdrawals early in 1932 then reduced the balance to 2 - 4s. - 5d. Around late 1931 or early 1932 Miss Ivy E M Hancox married Edward C Morgan, suggesting that her savings were made in anticipation of marriage. The branch staff have amended the depositor's name on the passbook - a procedure that would have been done following sight of the Marriage Certificate. Regular savings continue to August 1935 - some of these are for 2/6d, with the amount in words stated as either 'Two Shillings & 6d' or 'Half Crown'; the latter expression being the name of the coin with a value of one-eighth of a Pound, and which name was engraved on the coin.
In the period covered by the last three pages in the passbook, the deposits are for larger and irregular amounts. These deposits have probably been accumulated by using the Home Safe (Number 91,084) that is marked on the passbook as having been issued to the depositor. After the annual interest credit at March 31st 1939 has been entered in the passbook, it was necessary to issue a Continuation Passbook, and the balance of 12 - 11s. - 1d. is marked as 'Carried Forward to 2nd Book'. The inside of the rear cover contains information regarding the operation of accounts etc, including a statement that interest is allowed at the rate of 3%. When this rate was reduced to 3% as and from December 1st 1932 it was necessary to amend the passbook's information with an appropriate rubber stamp.
(Passbook preserved by Graham Capener)