With Birmingham expanding its borders after the First World War, some of the citizens living in the inner suburbs moved to new
residential areas being constructed farther from the city centre. Reflecting this trend, many of the new accounts opened at Springfield
branch in Ledger 2,001 to 4,000 were transferred from branches nearer the city centre area. Many of the transfers are from
Balsall Heath and Sparkbrook branches - both just over a mile away, nearer the city centre. The above five accounts (plus A/c No:
2151 illustrated previously) all appear to be members of the same family. A/c Nos 2401 to 2405 were all transferred from Sparkbrook
on the same date; four accounts had consecutive numbers at Sparkbrook (G12150 to G12153); four of the accounts had consecutively numbered
Home Safes (5769 to 5772); three of the Home Safes were surrendered on the same day (August 12th 1926). A similar set of accounts
were those of the Davies family, opened on May 15th 1924, three of them transfers from Lozells branch:
Transfers of accounts between Springfield and Sparkbrook were not just one way - an account (left) was transferred to Sparkbrook
on July 18th 1925. The transfer follows a number of deposits made at Sparkbrook.
Another depositor (right) has made deposits
at a number of branches - from December 1925 to February 1926, deposits were made at Head Office; Rotton Park; Aston; and Kings Heath
branches. In this period, no deposits were made at Springfield.
A/c No: 2986 - opened for a Minor, the initial deposit includes
a Postal Order for 5/-d.
Three accounts (above
) have a number of examples of the Bank's use of Rubber Stamps
. A/c No: 3676 has been issued with a Home Safe,
has maintained a balance above the minimum requirement of 6/-d, but has made no further deposits by the date the bound ledger was
no longer used.
A/c No: 3384 - this account (left) appears to be an early example of an 'in-and-out' account whereby the depositor has agreed for
his employer (Birmingham Small Arms) to deduct a weekly amount from his wage. The deductions have then been remitted to the Bank periodically
for the credit of his account. Shortly after receipt of the credit (posted in red ink), the depositor has withdrawn his 'savings'.
reference is made in the Bank's Annual Report, regarding this type of arrangement with employers, until 1946. Eventually such agreements
were made with a large number of employers under an arrangement known as the Direct Transfer Scheme
A/c No: 4000 - the last account opened in this bound ledger on January 19th 1925
(right) the last transaction date on this account suggests that the transfer of all accounts to the new ledger was early 1929.